Chamber size of Sterlingworth 12 Gauge

Fox guns for sale or direct references to guns for sale may not be posted here. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal gun that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the gun is for sale. Please note that references to guns posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Gun "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature, towards the seller of said firearm. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services

Chamber size of Sterlingworth 12 Gauge

Postby kdross » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:43 pm

I have an AH Fox Sterlingworth 12 gauge from 1928. The gun is a Philadelphia gun. What size chambers should this gun have - 2 1/2 or 2 2 3/4?

Thanks.
Ken
kdross

Postby gunut » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:24 pm

Most likely right between the two....2 5/8...A H Fox said that all 12 ga guns were chambered for 2 3/4in but they tended to hold the chambers about 1/8in short....Later Savage guns were actualy marked on the barrel as being 2 3/4in and most actualy were.....
gunut
gunut

Postby kdross » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Thanks gunut.

So what size shell should I be using?

Ken
kdross

FOX CHAMBERS --

Postby Researcher » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:27 pm

The only two A.H. Fox Gun Co. catalogues, that I have seen, that state chamber lengths are the 1913 and 1914. They both state 12-gauge guns are regularly chambered for 2 3/4 - inch shells, 16-gauge 2 9/16 – inch shells and 20-gauge 2 1/2 - inch shells. That being said, virtually every 12-gauge Ansley H. Fox gun made in Philadelphia (other than the HE-Grade Super-Fox) that I've run a chamber gauge in shows about 2 5/8 - inch. The chambers of unmolested 16-gauge guns seem to run about 2 7/16 inch and 20-gauge guns a hair over 2 3/8 inch. A very few graded guns were ordered with longer chambers. Savage began stating chambered for 2 ¾ inch shells in their 1938 Fox catalogues.

All this being said there is a good body of evidence that back in those days chambers were held about 1/8 inch shorter than the shells for which they were intended. In the recently published book "The Parker Story" the Remington vintage specification sheets on pages 164 to 169 call for a chamber 1/8-inch shorter than the shell for which it is intended. Also in the 1930's there were a couple of articles in "The American Rifleman" (July 1936 and March 1938) on the virtue of short chambers. A recent issue of The Double Gun Journal carried an article on tests showing no significant increase in pressure from shooting shells in slightly short chambers. IMHO I don't much sweat that 1/8-inch in 12-gauge guns. On the other hand when one gets a 20-gauge chambered at 2 3/8-inch likely intended for 2 1/2-inch shells I do worry about folks firing 2 3/4-inch shells in such guns.

I've been shooting 2 3/4 inch 12-gauge shells in my Ansley H. Fox doubles for over 40 years. For high volume shooting like Skeet or sporting clays I use low pressure 7/8 ounce hand loads, but except for very light weight guns with 4-weight barrels, I don't hesitate to use 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 ounce SAAMI loads when needed.
Share the knowledge
Researcher

Postby kdross » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:33 pm

Researcher:

Thank you very much for the informative post.

Ken
kdross

Return to Fox Collectors Forum